Satisfaction and anxiety are improved with the use of an easy-to-read informed consent document: a randomized multi-group study
Li Liu, MD
University of Pennsylvania Cancer
Ultima Vez Modificado: 12 de mayo del 2001
Presenter: P. C. Raich
Affiliation: AMC Cancer Research Center, Denver, CO
Informed consent is a process in which the patient is given all the information needed to decide whether to participate in a clincal trial. The signing of the informed consent document by both the patient and the investigator is the written verification of this process. Readability of most of the consents remains a problem for the US population in which half has reading skills at an 8th grade level or below.
Materials and Methods:
- 226 patients who were randomly assigned to either standard consent form (13th grade level) or an easy to read form (8th grade level) were evaluated
- Multiple institution study including 46 sites involved with three clinical trials from the NCCTG, ECOG, and CALGB.
- Comprehension of the consent, anxiety associated with the process, and satisfaction with the process were all evaluated.
- Comprehension of consent content was similar between two groups
- More satisfaction and decreased anxiety were observed in easy
- read group
- Easy readability was associated with enhanced satisfaction and reduced anxiety
- Participation of clinical trials maybe enhanced by patient's satisfaction and less anxiety with informed consent process
- The signing of the informed consent form does not, however, end the process of consent
- The investigator is obligated to continue to provide relevant information to the subject, answer questions, and ensure understanding throughout the duration of the study
- Continued education of patients who are enrolled in the clinical trials may also play a positive role in patient's satisfaction
OncoLink ASCO 2001 coverage is provided by an unrestricted educational grant from Amgen
I Wish You Knew
How cancer patients have changed my life
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Frente a un nuevo diagnóstico de cáncer o de cambiar el curso de su tratamiento actual? Deje que nuestro personal de enfermería cáncer que ayudan a pasar!