Results From the IRS IV Randomized Trial of Hyperfractionated Radiation in Children with Rhabdomyosarcoma
Joel W. Goldwein, MD
Ultima Vez Modificado: 24 de octubre del 2000
Presenter: S. S. Donaldson, MD
Affiliation: The Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study
- Hyperfractionated radiation therapy (HFRT) has the theoretical potential for improving efficacy without producing more late effects of children with rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS).
- This analysis of the IRS experience in treating rhabdomyosarcomas with HFRT is the first phase III randomized trial of this therapy reported for children
Materials and Methods:
- Children with Group III (gross residual tumor) rhabdomyosarcoma were randomized to receive either 50.4 Gy standard RT or 59.4 Gy in 1.1 Gy BID fractions HFRT, both beginning about week 9 post-resection and after initial chemotherapy
- The dose of HFRT was predicted (based on alpha/beta model) to increase effective tumor dose by 10% without increasing the late toxicity
- 450 children were analyzed, 251 of whom received HFRT and 239 of whom received conventional RT
- Compliance to radiation protocol was only 57% for patients <= 5 years of age, and 88% for older patients
- Five year actuarial survival was 75%, and relapse-free survival was 70%
- There was no significant difference in survival for the 2 groups
- When analyzed by intent to treat, there was no significant difference on freedom-from-relapse for the 2 groups
- Local failure rate was 12% for the conventional RT patients and 15% for the HFRT patients; this was not significantly different
- Grade III and IV toxicity was 86% in the conventional RT group and 89% in the HFRT group; also not significantly different
- HFRT as described above does not improve tumor control in these patients
- Conventional RT remains the standard of care for children with Group III rhabdomyosarcoma
I Wish You Knew
How cancer patients have changed my life
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Frente a un nuevo diagnóstico de cáncer o de cambiar el curso de su tratamiento actual? Deje que nuestro personal de enfermería cáncer que ayudan a pasar!