IMRT: Another Point of View
S. Jack Wei, MD
Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania
Ultima Vez Modificado: 22 de octubre del 2003
Moderator: Theodore L. Phillips, MD., University of California, San Francisco
Edward C. Halperin, MD, Duke University
- There is a difference between research and therapy.
- As a field, we have used research and randomized trials selectively if they show a benefit for radiation, but have dismissed its necessity when we do not have the data.
- There have been a number of cases where early results from non-randomized data compared to historic controls appeared to show a benefit, but did not show a benefit after randomized testing. Examples include bone marrow transplant for breast cancer, beta-carotene for decreasing cancer incidence, hyperfractionated radiation for pediatric brain stem tumors, etc.
- Non-randomized data compared to historic controls is not equal to randomized data.
- The increased treatment time and monitor units due to IMRT result in higher leakage and scatter as is evidenced by the increased rate of second neoplasms with IMRT (1% vs. 1.75% at 10 years).
- We must not confuse differential dose distributions with differential outcomes.
- IMRT should be viewed as research, not therapy.
Increased Use of IMRT for Self-Referring Urologists
Oct 24, 2013 - Use of integrated intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) has increased more among urologists who have acquired ownership of IMRT services versus urologists who do not own such services, according to research published in the Oct. 24 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions
I Wish You Knew
How cancer patients have changed my life
Blogs and Web Chats
OncoLink Blogs give our readers a chance to react to and comment on key cancer news topics and provides a forum for OncoLink Experts and readers to share opinions and learn from each other.
Frente a un nuevo diagnóstico de cáncer o de cambiar el curso de su tratamiento actual? Deje que nuestro personal de enfermería cáncer que ayudan a pasar!